If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (850) 536-6599

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Unexpected Fire Damage Hazards in Your Tallahassee Home

8/23/2017 (Permalink)

Keeping your laptop on a desk rather than on a bed or blanket can prevent it from overheating and potentially catching fire.

Preventing common household items from causing house fires

As homeowners, we are all aware of the dangers of fire. You have most likely heard the most common advice such as get a fire alarm and check it regularly and do not leave hot pans or burning candles unattended. SERVPRO understands that people in our local Tallahassee community want to be fire aware and minimize potential fire risks. That is why we would like to draw your attention to unexpected fire risks that you might not know about.

In the event of fire damage to your Tallahassee home, SERVPRO is on hand to assist with all aspects of fire remediation. We train our IICRC-certified technicians in all elements of fire damage cleanup, including the most appropriate cleaning actions for soot and smoke damage, and the use of thermal fogging, air scrubbers or even ozone machines to eliminate lingering odors.

However, prevention is always better than remedy, which is why we recommend you check for these unexpected fire damage hazards in your home today.

Laptops. You probably already know that laptops can get very hot. As such, they pose a fire risk if you leave them on a bed, couch or blanket. We recommend placing your laptop on a desk or laptop stand, and always switching it off when not in use.

Used charcoal. Have you ever thrown charcoal back in the bag after a barbecue, ready to use for next time? It is a common habit, and many of us do it. However, it can also be dangerous because there is a risk that the charcoal could catch alight and start a fire. That is why it is best to always store charcoal in a metal container with a tightly fitting lid.

Old appliances. As appliances such as kettles, TVs, hairdryers or stereos get older, they suffer from wear and tear. Old appliances might have frayed cords, poor connections, or damaged insulation, all of which can cause a fire hazard. It is a good idea to check appliances regularly and repair or toss any that are showing signs of damage.

Dryer lint. You might not think of your dryer as a fire risk, but in fact, dryer lint can spark a blaze. The heat from the dryer plus the lint is a potential fire starter. SERVPRO recommends cleaning out dryer lint after every use and checking the connecting hose and inside the drum for any stray lint, too.

SERVPRO of North Leon County is on hand to help with any fire cleanup jobs in Tallahassee and throughout the county. Call us today at (850) 536-6599 for assistance.

To learn about the history of the Tallahassee fire department, click here.

Other News

View Recent Posts